So the World Cup is on our doorstep, literally! With less than 24 hours to kick-off, I’m sure footy fans the world over are giddy with excitement.
Here are some quick facts, I bet you never knew about the FIFA World Cup 2014:
- Its the first time FIFA will be using goal line technology at a World Cup. (Finally!)
- The Official World Cup song is “We Are One” by Pitbull and JLO.
- The Official World Cup Anthem is “Dar um Jeito” (We will find a way) by Carlos Santana, Wyclef Jean, Avicii & Alexandre Pires.
- Shakira also released a World Cup song La La La (Dare) (unofficial), which seems to be more popular than the other two.
- World Cup 2014 is the most expensive one yet, costing USD$11 million, and teams have also jumped onto this with crazy demands that have to be met.
- The official mascot for Brazil 2014 is Fuleco, the Armadillo.
- I know we thought they only exist in si-fi movies, but reportedly drones and robots have been deployed to secure stadiums.
- The first kick of the tournament will be by a paraplegic child, who will be wearing an “exoskeleton” of sorts.
- The winning team will bank USD$35 million, while the runners up will take home a cool USD$25 million.
- This tournament will be hosted across 12 cities, more than any other tournament.
- This will be the second time Brazil is hosting the tournament, the last being in 1950.
- Brazil also happen to be the most successful team in the history of the tournament (6 titles).
- Refs will be using a revolutionary vanishing spray to mark out the spot where free kicks will be taken from. S no more bickering about where to drop the ball!
Just a few more hours to go now!